TV Everywhere

'TV everywhere' in U.S. plays mostly (54%) on Apple devices

March 17, 2014: 12:14 PM ET

Adobe counted 574 million events streamed last quarter, up from 223 million a year earlier.

Source: Adobe

Source: Adobe

FORTUNE -- Apple (AAPL) dominates "TV everywhere" -- a buzzword coined by Time Warner Cable in 2009 to describe the "authenticated streaming" concept pioneered a few years earlier by ESPN.

The pitch to viewers is simple: Pay your monthly cable or satellite TV bill, and we'll let you watch our content on just about any device that has a screen and a connection to the Internet.

In a chart-packed publication issued Monday, the folks at Adobe (ADBE) Digital Index reported that 47% of legally streamed TV shows last quarter were watched on an iPhone, iPad or iPod. Add the 7% viewed on a Mac, and Apple's share of the total streamed video market in Q4 2013 rises to 54%.

More details from Adobe:

TV Everywhere Stream Play Requests by OS/Device

Note that the data are for the U.S. only; China is not included. Nor, apparently, is Apple TV.

Below: A Business Insider chart from last summer that puts the latest findings in context.

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 11.18.37 AM


  • And the walls came tumbling down

    Is the NBCU-Comcast deal really about a new business model for cable?

    By Tom MacIsaac, CEO, ExtendMedia

    That cracking sound you hear is the walls of the clubby world of cable beginning to crumble. Everything in the media world -- ­ especially the world of media distribution --has changed as a result of Comcast (CMCSA) taking control of GE's (GE) NBCUniversal.

    Many people think this is a deal to preserve the status quo MORE

    Dec 11, 2009 9:00 AM ET
Current Issue
  • Give the gift of Fortune
  • Get the Fortune app
  • Subscribe
Powered by VIP.