Fortune's curated selection of newsworthy tech stories from the last 24 hours. Sign up to get the round-up delivered to you every day.
* A titillating in-depth look at Andrew Mason and Groupon's inner machinations that allegedly reveals how the company rapidly evolved into a 10,000-strong organization, what Mason is really like, and why the company lost key executives like COO Margo Georgiadis earlier this year. (Business Insider)
* TechCrunch columnist MG Siegler reports that Google (GOOG) is prepping a "pretty fantastic" Gmail app for the iPhone. Meanwhile, the Internet giant unveiled a redesign for Google Reader, with Google+ integration. (parislemon and The Official Google Reader Blog)
* Bill Gates dismissed Steve Jobs' criticism of him in Walter Isaacson's biography. "None of that bothers me at all," he said. (ABC News)
* Several ex-Engadget writers, including founder Joshua Topolsky, officially launched The Verge, a tech-focused web site Topolsky compares to a boutique hotel: "we have the same stuff everyone else has, but it is a much more elegant experience." (All Things D)
* Phil McKinney, CTO of HP's PC division, will retire from his post by the end of the year. (VentureBeat)
* Location startup SimpleGeo was reportedly acquired by Urban Airship for around $3.5 million in stock. (Uncrunched)
* Six key retail trends to look out for this holiday season. (Forrester Research via American Express Open Forum)
Don't miss the latest tech news. Sign up now to get Today in Tech emailed each and every morning.
A flock of former AOL staffers are about to launch a new gadget blog, The Verge. Their publishing model could end up looking a lot like their former employer's.
By Daniel Roberts, reporter
FORTUNE -- AOL hasn't had much luck keeping its top editorial talent. The exodus of writers from website TechCrunch earlier this year was only the latest embarrassing black eye for the struggling Internet company. Now, another former AOL editor MOREOct 26, 2011 1:54 PM ET
|Bernanke and China send world stocks lower|
|China factory activity hits 9-month low|
|J.D. Power ranks GM tops in quality for first time|
|Much faster Wi-Fi coming soon|
|Dow sinks 200 points after Fed hints at stimulus easing|