Tim Cook's testimony on Apple's taxes: The reviews are inMay 22, 2013: 10:14 AM ET
Reporters wrote two kinds of second-day stories, with two very different takes.
Headlines reporting on the fact of the hearing tended to use metaphors of violence ("rip," "lambaste," "clash," "spar," "fend off") or of high-temperature torture ("grilled," "under fire," "hot seat").
But the journalists who reported on the atmospherics -- and, dare I say, the substance -- of the hearing told a very different story. Sample headlines:
- New York Times Bits Blog: Apple's Chief Charms Capitol Hill
- Reuters: Tim Cook's improbable victory in Washington
- Politico: Apples Cook shines in D.C. spotlight
- Forbes: 5 Ways Apple's Tim Cook Stayed Cool Under Fire
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Ten reasons Tim Cook dominated Congress
- The Atlantic Wire: Senators Turn Tim Cook's Hearing into a Genius Bar Visit
- Wall Street Journal: Senators to Apple: We Love the iPhone
- CNN Money: Apple's Tim Cook is Wall Street hero for a day
- Salon: Apple's biggest sin: Popularity
My take (with apologies for the pugilistic metaphor): No one laid a glove on him.