Piper Jaffray: Android app revenue is 7% of iPhone'sNovember 21, 2011: 11:43 AM ET
Apple to retain a 70%+ share of mobile app dollars, despite Android's 50%+ market share
- Since its inception, Google's (GOOG) Android Market Place has generated about 7% of the gross revenue of Apple's App Store.
- Apple (AAPL) has about 85% to 90% market share of the total dollars spent on mobile apps.
- Only 1.3% of Android apps are paid, compared with 13.5% of iPhone's.
- Apple developers have made more than $3.4 billion since 2011, compared with less than $240 million for Google developers.
- Although Android is likely to grow its smartphone market share faster, Apple will probably maintain a 70%+ share of mobile app dollars spent over the next 3 or 4 years.
Below: Munster's tale of the tape: