Admob stats reveal Motorola as #1 Android maker, moreApril 27, 2010: 1:10 PM ET
Although Motorola is number one by a slim margin, HTC and Samsung contribute to a total of 11 devices which make up 96% of Android pageviews.
The Motorola Droid is by far the most popular Android phone according to the survey, garnering about a third of Android marketshare. The closest competitor in the Android space, the HTC Hero, pulled in less than 20%. The story here, however is about diversification. Eleven devices represented 96% of Android traffic in the AdMob network
Compare these results with Google's official numbers below which seem to indicate that Google's 2.x devices are doing a lot more browsing and using more Apps, perhaps skewing Admob's numbers slightly.
Perhaps the most surprising results of the study were the still-sorry numbers of the Nexus One, which Google is selling directly from its website. The 'flagship Google phone is still at only 2% of the Android market.
The chart above also illustrates the growing diversity of hardware specifications that Android developers must account for.
More stats from Admob below:
* Two Android devices, the HTC Dream and HTC Magic, collectively represented 96% of Android traffic in September 2009. Seven months later, 11 devices represented 96% of Android traffic in the AdMob network.
* In March 2010, Android traffic share on the AdMob network was divided relatively evenly between the three primary versions of the Android OS: Android 1.5 (38%), Android 2.0 / 2.1 (35%) and Android 1.6 (26%).
* Motorola was the leading Android manufacturer with 44% share of traffic in March 2010 due to the success of the Droid and CLIQ. HTC was a close second with 43% of requests, followed by Samsung with 9%.
* iPhone OS traffic is composed of two device types, iPhone (60%) and iPod touch (40%). The most popular iPhone OS device in the AdMob network is the iPhone 3GS, followed by the 2nd Generation iPod touch. The two
most recent versions of the iPhone OS generate 86% of the traffic. In March 2010, 44% of iPhone OS traffic came from devices running iPhone OS 3.1.3 and 42% from iPhone OS 3.1.2.
* The Android platform has experienced significant growth in monthly traffic over the past year. Android traffic has grown at a compounded monthly growth rate of 32% per month, going from 72 million requests in March
2009 to 2.0 billion in March 2010.
* AdMob overall worldwide traffic for March 2010 is up 18% month over month.