Apple invites press to 'latest creation'January 18, 2010: 12:54 PM ET
E-mails were sent Monday for an unveiling in 10 days. Is this their long-awaited tablet?
It's official now: Apple's (AAPL) newest product will be unveiled Wednesday, Jan. 27, in San Francisco.
The e-mail invitation, sent at noon on Monday, reads in full:
Please join us for an invitation-only event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater in San Francisco on January 27 at 10:00 a.m. Registration begins at 9:00 a.m. Please arrive early. RSVP to email@example.com.
The event will mark either the worst-kept secret in Silicon Valley -- the unveiling of the tablet computer about which rumors have been swirling since 2002 -- or a set-up for the biggest let-down in the company's 32-year history.
- Tablet: Big iPhone or thin MacBook?
- 5 reasons iSlate will succeed/fail
- On the trail of Apple's iSlate
- Apple tablet: $340 in parts?
- AAPL hits record high on tablet rumors
- Jobs "extremely happy" with tablet
[Follow Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Twitter @philiped]