85% of Mac owners have Windows tooOctober 5, 2009: 9:39 AM ET
Approximately 12% of U.S. computer households own an Apple (AAPL) computer, up from 9% in 2008, according to the results of a survey released Monday morning by the NPD group.
But here's the kicker: the vast majority -- 85% -- also own at least one PC running Microsoft (MSFT) Windows.
There's a simple explanation for this. Mac users tend to own a lot more computers. In fact, 66% of Mac households own three or more computers, according to NPD, compared with 29% of Windows households. This probably means that Mac users know more about Windows than Windows users know about Macs.
More than 2,300 NPD panelists completed the survey. Among its other findings:
- Mac owners are richer. 36% have household incomes greater than $100,000, compared with 21% of all U.S. consumers.
- Mac households are more mobile. 72% own a notebook computer, compared with 50% of Windows PC households.
- Mac users have more iPods. 63% own an iPod, compared with 36% of all computer-owning households
- Nearly 50% of Mac households own some kind of electronic navigation system, compared with 30% of all computer-owning households.
- In general, Mac users own a lot more gadgets. The average Apple household owns 48 consumer electronic devices, compared with an average of 24 in all computer-owning households. (See chart below.)
Said NPD vice president Stephen Baker, in conclusion: "Apple household owners' actions and purchases can be used by the industry as leading indicators for hot new products and adoption."